Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Post #10: Other EOTO Presentations

Other EOTO Presentations

By Davis Trax

I have learned a great deal from the EOTO presentations we have given. I especially learned a lot from my own group, as I presented on the Overton Window, a political idea theory that we, the public can use to make politicians see the benefits in compromising to both political parties. We also spoke on the Illusory Truth Effect, Gatekeeping and Confirmation Bias. I definitely learned a lot from those presentations. I also a lot from the other groups, especially the awareness group.



The awareness group had to cover topics like the Smith-Mundt Act, false flags and five eyes. The topics that I found the most interesting were propaganda and disinformation. They are similar in a lot of ways, but have key differences that separate them from being the exact same thing.


Propaganda has been used by our country for a long time. It is a way for a biased group to mislead many into thinking that an entire nation believes one thing. We have used it for many things, but the largest demographic for propaganda is anything political. The biggest of examples in America are during World War I, World War II and an extremely recent example is the COVID-19 global pandemic. The difference between propaganda and disinformation is that propaganda can be misinformed, where the information is wrong but, doesn't do it on purpose. Disinformation is the literal act of deceiving the public in a deliberate, assertive manner. Disinformation is a subset of propaganda, but a specific cut of major propaganda is actually disinformation. Disinformation also exists in World War I, World War II and especially in COVID-19. The pandemic is a great way of showing modern day disinformation.


That is why this EOTO group intrigued me the most. More than just the way they presented the information, the topics themselves are incredibly interesting and important in todays society.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post: My Relationship With Technology

My Relationship With Technology By Davis Trax Well here is is. My final blog for the semester. And if it isn't obvious enough, this one ...