Sunday, January 23, 2022

Post #2: History of the Supreme Court

History of the Supreme Court

By Davis Trax



One thing that I learned that I didn't previously know was that John Marshall basically created and established Judicial Review in the case of Madison v Marbury in 1803. Judicial Review is so important to the checks and balances of the judicial branch, and I was glad to learn more about it's creation.

Personally, I think the biggest takeaway from this article was learning who our current Supreme Court justices are because after the unfortunate passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, I wasn't actually aware of who ended up joining the Supreme Court afterwards.

The most surprising thing that I learned was in the early days of the Supreme Court and the Judiciary Act of 1789. More importantly, I didn't realize that originally, there were only six judges and that they didn't hear any cases within their first term. I am glad they were able to change the number of justices to nine. It should've at least been an odd number so that there would never be a three-way tie.

The video and the History post definitely changed my viewpoint on the Supreme Court and the judicial branch as a whole. Personally, I think their checks and balances are the best out of all of the branches, so I definitely think the Supreme Court is cooler than I thought. I just think it is amazing that we hear so much about our President because of the affairs he deals with, and so without any other knowledge, people can assume Biden is the leader of the nation. He isn't. He has equal power with the judicial and legislative branch. He can't do any unconstitutional without getting exposed by the Supreme Court and he can't give and Executive Order without the judicial branch reviewing it. I just think that is pretty badass of the judicial branch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post: My Relationship With Technology

My Relationship With Technology By Davis Trax Well here is is. My final blog for the semester. And if it isn't obvious enough, this one ...